9.4.15

Life update and Book Haul




It's been ages since I've been on here! Unfortunately exams and university had to be given first priority, and while I'm still not technically done, the exam I dreaded the most is finally over. I don't think it went all too badly. I breathed a sigh of relief, went on a movie marathon and slept for a million hours. 

The only really eventful thing that has happened in the past few weeks is a huge book sale that took place in my city recently. It's an annual thing and I do try to visit every year. It offers a vast collection of books in various genres at bargain prices. I'm usually spoilt for choice and really have to restrain myself from purchasing every book I lay my eyes on. It's a struggle, I tell you.

All the books I picked up this time are just Rs 50 (1 USD = Rs. 62), which is a fraction of their original price. A couple of them are secondhand, but in excellent condition and the rest are unused, although a little dusty. But hey, so are most things in India. What I like most about this sale is that it has a lot of books by lesser known authors and I discovered quite a few books I would have never come across at a conventional chain book-store.

Here are some of the titles I purchased:

Sickened - Julie Gregory
The Woman Who Went to Bed for a Year - Sue Townsend
Blott on the Landscape - Tom Sharpe
A Tiny Bit Marvellous - Dawn French
No Child of Mine - Susan Lewis
The Help - Kathryn Stockett
Charlotte's Web - E.B. White

I bought a few for my little cousins too. They're all authors and books I loved as kid and read occasionally even now! So if you have any little humans in your life who need a birthday present, I would definitely recommend these!

Fantastic Mr.Fox - Roald Dahl
George's Marvellous Medicine - Roald Dahl
Cosmic - Frank Cottrell Boyce
Scorpia - Anthony Horowitz
South by South East - Anthony Horowitz
Holes - Louis Sachar
Wayside School Gets a Little Stranger - Louis Sachar
Horrid Henry and the Secret Club - Francesca Simon
A Handful of Horrid Henry - Francesca Simon
The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe - C.S.Lewis




While taking a break from uni work, I started reading Sickened by Julie Gregory. It is an autobiographical novel about her childhood and how the Munchausen by Proxy complex affected it. The foreword of the book says "Munchausen by Proxy may be the single most complex - and lethal - form of maltreatment known today. It is formally defined as the falsification or induction of physical and/or emotional illness by a caretaker of a dependant person. In most cases, the perpetrator is a mother and the victim is her own child."


It sounds a little dark, but I'm about 50 pages in and find it hard to put down. I find the human mind fascinating and love reading about psychology, so this book is right up my alley.

I used to read a lot, but haven't done so in while, so I hope to get back into the habit once I'm done with exams. There are heaps of unread books lying at home to choose from and I shall keep you guys updated!

What are you reading at the moment?


3 comments:

  1. If I remember right you are doing b.arch right?
    Don't you have exams only once every sem or year??
    Is it the submissions? Because my friend doesn't have exams at the moment o.O
    Anyhoo I've heard of The Help in that list saw the movie adaptation of that book.It was amazing :)
    Have you seen that?You should if you like the book.
    Where did you manage find books at that price? O_O
    I'm reading 'The Shinning' by Stephen King currently and it's really interesting! :D

    Neal Kind
    http://diaryforneal.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Neal,

      Yup I'm pursuing my Bachelor's Degree in Architecture. We have exams at the end of each semester. Although in our course that's more along the lines of submitting your design projects and other work done during the term and not actual written papers. Those occur once a year.

      Yes I've seen the The Help and loved it. :) Haha I live in Pune and there's a booksale held annually here! The collection is staggering.

      The Shining has been on my reading list for ages! Ive been meaning to see the movie too. It's one of those classics you cannot not watch.

      Minna

      Delete
    2. I'm not sure if we have any such sale in Delhi .
      The movie based on The Shinning is amazing,probably the best horror movie I've seen but the book is even better.

      Delete

I'd love to hear what you have to say! Thank you for your comment :)